Friday, August 11, 2006

Food and an Update

Alright.... Wow, it has been a really long time since I have posted. So I am currently working on transitioning my blog so that I can create the pages on my new iMac. Anyhow, the summer is beginning to slow to a stop in less than a week as I continually grow more anxious for the start of a new school year. There is nothing like Fall: cooler days, excellent fashion, college football and the formation of new relationships. It should be a fairly challenging academic year but one of much growth as well, both in my maturity and intellect. I am always reminded of my days running cross country when I go into a new school year; your soul is filled with butterflies of anticipation and before you lay a challenge. I always halfway second guess myself but inside I know that I have prepared and will continue to move forward, advancing past each obstacle as I come to it and ultimately I will be successful. Yet there is always that challenge and few things are more exciting.



Also, I have been reading Atlas Shrugged and am about 2/3 the way done. It is much more provocative than I had origininally estimated and I think a part of me didn't want to like it at all, and though I do disagree with much Ayn Rand speaks on, when I am finished I expect to have gained several new insights. More on that when I have finished. For music this has been more than ever the summer of Jazz. I currently really like Blue Train by John Coltrane and Home Cookin by Jimmy Smith. Also thanks to Mr. Jones I have been overly impressed by Surprise by Paul Simon. Aesthetically the album is beautifully composed but it is the mature and reflective lyrics which truly define the recording.



Food. We all eat, for me it will change from 3 times a day in the summer to a solid 1 or lucky 2 as the school year starts, nonetheless food is about far more than food. American's have been accused of eating too much and placing perhaps too great an emphasis on social situations surrounding food. Perhaps rightfully so, yet I love a great dinner with a few friends. I am a decent cook and so when I go out to dinner I am hardly looking to eat a meal and go home. This is why places like buffets confuse me. I go out to eat (and I am talking now $10/15 up eating) firstly for original, freshly cooked food in an atmosphere where just as much thought has been placed in the service and setting as in the food itself. The restraunt and food should compliment each other. Secondly, on the topic of wine. I love wine with a meal, it so often provides that extra edge to the food that takes it to an entirely different level. But here are my two pet peeves. First far too often the red wine is too warm and white wine too cold. Next, 4-5 ounces please! in my glass and give me an appropriate glass for what I am drinking. More than anything this means at least a 12 ounce--preferably a 20 ounce glass. Sorry I needed to vent. A few of my favorite restraunts that I feel do it right are: Splash-Des Moines, Tremont-Marshalltown, Taki-Des Moines, Pachamama's-Lawrence, The Taj Mahal- KC, La Frou Frog - KC, Teller's -- Lawrence, The Eldridge - Lawrence, Jerusalem Cafe - KC, The Cafe - Ames, and 126 in Iowa City. Cheers. Go out and treat yourself to a good meal.

3 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger bombasticbeats said...

Have you ever shouted, "I'm not drinking merlot!" at a restaurant? We need to strive for that kind of wine snobbery.

We miss you and Tater misses getting in your face and licking your ears. Oh, and we found out that we are having a girl! I'm excited. How did the purple color turn out? Make sure to come back to K.C. and visit often. Take care!

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger bombasticbeats said...

I think we are going to go to Lydia's downtown this weekend for my birthday. She's that Italian lady with the show on PBS. Yum!

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

Haha, thats awesome Brandon you will have to tell me how it goes, I love her and would love to eat at her restraunt. Also some have commented that the restraunts I posted on are quite expensive, while some are others are a bargain. 10 or The Eldridge in Lawrence you can get a great meal (I recommend the nightly specials) for $18 including wine. The Taj Mahal in KC you can eat dinner at for $10 and recieve some of the best service I have ever been given. And Taki in Des Moines on Wensday night you can have a meal of sushi and drinks for around $12 (sit at the bar itself and you may get free sushi and if its near close you will probably get free drinks as well, not to mention constant interaction with staff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home