Wednesday, August 31, 2005

a bit perplexed

As I watch the TV coverage of the Katrina aftermath I feel that things are being severely downplayed. Am I the only one?
When 9/11 occurred our nation was in a state of shock. I don't get that same feeling when I watch the Katrina aftermath news coverage. I don't get that same feeling when I go to work and the recent news out of the south is talked about like a Mondday Night Football game; "Man, did you see that shot of the looters stealing things out of stores all over New Orleans."
The final death toll of the 9/11 incident was 2,752. I just checked cnn.com and the lead story title is 'New Orleans Mayor Fears Thousands Dead.' That's only in New Orleans. 25,000 refugees from the New Orleans area will be shipped to Houston as they evacuate New Orleans. I would be shocked if there were only 25,000 people stayed behind prior to Katria hitting shore. My point is, the death toll from those that chose to stay behind could be staggering.
A whole city evacuated, yet you can turn to any major TV channel right now (3:00 in the afternoon) and see a soap opera instead of coverage.
Maybe as time passes and bodies are found in attics, garages, pinned under heavy materials under the waters surface, and body count tallies come in we'll be in shock and devastation. I am just disturbed at how most of America seems to be moving on with "business as usual (myself not exempt)." An entire city has been devastated and EVACUATED, and many other towns have been ravaged.
Are we fed a diet so high in reality television that we are looking at this with reality television lenses and reality television hearts?

4 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

I hear you man, I was talking to Paul about the devestation earlier today and it seems we are more concerned about the rising gas prices then the loss of life due to the disaster. The only fair coverage I have seen on the disaster was on the News Hour from PBS and on NPR. Also kids, send your thoughts and prayers out to the disaster in Iraq with the stampede.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

I highly recommend going to the Washington Post's website and checking out the the photo section. You need to be a member but its free. The photos almost brought me to tears, they are very moving.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger bombasticbeats said...

Absolutley. I've been listening to NPR and watching the PBS news as well because the only thing the other stations are covering has to do with oil. Some of the things that storm did are utterly mind boggling, and all they can talk about are the oil rigs. What's going on here?

Today, I found out that Rockhurst and other Jesuit schools across the country are taking in students, particularly seniors so they can finish their education. It has been interesting to hear and see this school respond to the situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home