Friday, March 04, 2005

I wish I knew Mr. Peck

Bring it on!...

"That which is false is unreal. The more clearly we see the reality of the world, the better equipped we are to deal with the world. The less clearly we see the reality of the world- the more our minds are befuddled by falsehood, misperceptions and illusion- the less we will be able to determine correct courses of action and make wise decisions...

Truth or reality is avoided when it is painful. We can revise our maps {i.e. our own course of action} only when we have the discipline to overcome that pain. To have such discipline we must be totally dedicated to truth. That is to say that we must always hold truth, as best we can determine it, to be more important, more vital to one's self-interest than our comfort (BAM!, YES!)... A life of total dedication to truth also means a life of willingness to be personally challenged... but the tendency to avoid challenge is so omnipresent in human beings that it can properly be considered as a characteristic of human nature."

Thank you Mr. Scott Peck.

Currently listening to: My Music on Yahoo (where you rate the music they throw at you, according to your preferences). Something horrible is on right now (Matt Nathanson)- it's going to get the 'never play again' vote.

2 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

Hey T-

Your post reminded me of something that happened to me once. It doesnt apply directly but kinda. Anyhow its a good story.

Once while I was in Minnesota for a fishing trip, I was walking up to the cabin after a night on the lake, and I came across a large spider by the door of the cabin. My immediate reaction was to try and kill it. However, the primacy and irrationality of such an action caused me to pause. So I began to think: why did I want to kill this spider? The answer was because I feared it, and I feared it because I didnt understand it. So I came up with two conclusions. 1. We when faced with the unknown we can take the easy route, deystroy the possiblity of it, and remain comfortable. 2. We can step back and learn. This requires being deliberate, and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. The self-reflection and openness foster an enviroment where you can learn. I guess how this aplies is that your article talked the tendency to avoid challenge. I agree but as you are well aware you can develop a mindset where you challenge yourself, and seek to become a life-long learner.

*one side note however, I often find myself on the other side of the spectrum, that is running from comfort and always pushing myself. This too can be unhealthy, and sometimes its alright to be content and just be, for a while.

Thats all for now

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger bombasticbeats said...

Philosopher John Dewey says something similar of what he calls "reflective thinking:"

"Reflective thinking is always more or less troublesome because it involves overcoming the inertia that inclines one to accept suggestions at their face value; it involves willingness to endure a condition of mental rest and disturbance."

The search for truth (or even a deeper more critical form of thinking) can be uncomfortable in that we sometimes have to suspend our beliefs in order that they may be realigned or dispelled of false truths.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home