Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Hotel Rwanda

So I am back from Spring Break, it was really nice, anyhow... Over the course of it I saw Hotel Rwanda, and it affected me deeply, I honestly cannot remember the last time I was so upset. I was upset because this atrocity is one of the worst genocides in human history, it occured only 11 years ago, and yet the West understands so very little of it. I was angry because it is still going on, with the RAF hunting down former Hutu fighters and militia. I was angry because the world ignored the conflict and let it happen, why because they were Africans. I was angry because I could see the direct influence of colonialism as acting as a catalyst in the conflict. The west interest in Africa too often seems to exploit it for personal advantage, and ignore it when it despritly needs our help. I am tired of Africa being eclipsed, and misunderstood and that is why I am angry. I highly recommend the movie, and if anyone is interested there is a book, Shake Hands with the Devil, that came out last year that deals with the UN general who tried to keep the peace. He plays a large role in the film, and the book just came out. I have not read it, but heard excellent reviews from NPR.

5 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Shadow Crescent Knight said...

True-dat!

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger shinanos said...

Oh my, UPDATE! :) Nice, keep writing!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger bombasticbeats said...

Yeah, I need to go see that. I haven't been to a movie in a quite a while. Well, a couple months is a long time when you are married to a Barrett anyway. woot!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Bryan said...

Whoot Whoot!

From what I hear Hotel Rwanda comes out on video today for those of you who are interested.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger bombasticbeats said...

I just finished watching Hotel Rwanda and I'm astonished. Incredibly powerful. I'm amazed at my numbness and selfishness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home