Saturday, December 04, 2004

Che

The film, Motorcycle Diaries is based on the book by Ernesto "Che" Guevera. The film catalogues the travels of Che and a friend around South America. This pre-dates the revolution in Cuba which he has now become known for. It is a great film, especially when placed in context, and I especially enjoyed its use of black and white stills to speak of the change occurring in Che's outlook on life. I highly recommend seeing it, and then listen to some "Rage Against the Machine" afterwards, haha.

Overall Motorcycle Diaries political voice is suprisingly subtle. Yet despite this it provides unique insight into the development of one of the 20'th centuries most controversial leaders. This is what I would like to focus on for a moment. Put aside any previous thoughts you have about the Che, good or bad, because despite his communist tendencies, I believe that at the core of Che's life is something that is very important to dwell on.

Che during his travels came face to face with the realty of the incredible injustice facing indigenous, and other marginalised peoples in South America. He was faced with a choice, to choose action and do whatever was in his power to correct it, possibly facing dire consequences to his own life. Or to do as most of us do, to recognize a problem and walk away--saving ourselves at the expense of society.

Mundanly speaking, when one comes across peers making fun of a person and denouncing that individuals human dignity, does one speak up or remain sheepish. All to often, I must confess I have erroneously remained silent. I know that I face circumstances similarly everyday, on many fronts: religiously, socially, and personal experiences. And what I am trying to forge out of my self, with the aid of much grace, is to live the principled life. To live by the cross; to protect the environment; to stand up for the marginalised, those whom the world has seemingly shat upon; to promote the arts; and to know love and express it. This is what is at the core of who I am. They are my core beliefs and those who have lived by their cores have shaken the world. They are dangerous men and women before an ocean of graves. Most will never be known to you or I, or the annals of history, but others we know and value such as Che, Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Mandela, King, and many many more.


So for whatever Che did right or wrong, in the various revolutions he took part in, I honor him. For he came face to face with a great conflict and asked himself , 'what can I do?'. And that takes much courage and selflessness.

9 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Roxanne said...

I, too, saw Motorcycle Diaries. In fact, Bryan and I had the pleasure of seeing it together. I left with a similar impression. Che had so much compassion and love. But the difference between Che and "the rest of us" is that he was willing to stand up for those who didn't have a voice. He wasn't ashamed or self-concious.
I'll admit that I'm envious, jealous, what have you. I don't think the same qualities are ingrained in me...maybe they are...i really don't know.
Whatever you think about Che, disregard it, at least for a moment. Think about your own life. Personally, I don't know anyone who's putting themselves out there, laying themselves on the line for others, myself included. I don't mean to be a downer, just a thinker.
cheers.................

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger travis said...

Dale,
Were the things that your are trying to hold as prioroties or values listed in order, or just random? If random, how would you list them in order, if you had to? By the way, I think that you are being a voice by mentioning the name of The Voice. Props. -trousers

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

Travis,

No I didnt put them in any order, but I will see what I can do, and this is going to be tough.

1. To know the love of God. Without this we are nothing, I aim to make it the quitessential element to my life.

2. To live by the cross. This is an extension of the first: to know the love of God, by this I mean to live in a life imitating Jesus and all that jazz.

3. To express love, especialy to the marginalized. I have a huge heart for social justice, and it fuels much of my thought and actions. *note: we can only express love fully by understanding the amazing selfless love of God.

4. To become a life long learner. I didnt put this one down before hand, but yeah I love knowledge. It empowers you, and helps keep you from getting puffed up about yourself, you aim to continue to know more.

5. To protect the enviroment. I am fairly green and I hug trees, what more do I need to say. We live in a beautiful and dangerous natural world, but we are deystroying it which i feel is leaving a huge deficit for future generations.

6. To promote the arts. Art speaks to the human soul at a level which common interaction cannot. I is especially important as our world seemingly becomes more homogenized.

There you are T Diddy. Enjoy

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger bombasticbeats said...

I really need to see that movie. A radical (or maybe just sincere) pursuit of compassion has been on my mind a lot lately. I'm all talk, but backing it up is a true challenge. I hope we can reach for it.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger travis said...

BD- Your list is great, as well as the order. You make me proud.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger travis said...

I wish that I could find a place around here to see 'Motorcycle Diaries.' I should have went to see it when I was in Chicago. I wanted to go to it but my sousins wanted to see 'Finding Neverland' instead. But that was a good movie. I'll be in Minneapolis next week, so maybe I'll try to catch it there. Where did you see it, Bryan? Why do my posts have a little trash can symbol next to them. Is it symbolic?

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger That one guy said...

B-dawg, I like the list. I would ask you, however, if the latter of the list do not clash with the first few. Does the call of the cross not call us to love God and love others--and base our life around these? The arts, knowledge, environment, even politics, are great things to pursue and to forward (and, in the right way, very indicitive of, and responsive to, the love of Christ). I ask, however, if they pale in comparision. I have few doubts that you will disagree with me on that, and, as such, would argue that you have a good list of priorities. May the peace of Christ, indeed, be with you and comfort you.

zeut

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

You can see Motorcycle Diaries in Des Moines at the Fluer

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

Of course everything pales in comparison to Christ. The enviroment, art, and even social justice: I feel are just 'hearts', that God has gifted me with, passion and protection of these things. And granted as Lewis mentions in 'The Screwtape Letters' we must gaurd against using God as a means to these things. Christ must always come first then all things in which he has gifted us with will flow in a healthy manner.

Now speaking of the enviroment, I havent been outside much in it lately. But its a beautiful day and I am going to go fishing now. God Bless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home